Posts for: April, 2021
Your ENT specialists in Norwalk, CT, can help with tinnitus.
If you suffer from chronic ringing in your ears, you could be one of over 50 million people in this country who suffer from tinnitus. It’s an annoying condition, and it can also keep you from enjoying your life. Severe tinnitus can make it almost impossible to think about anything else.
Fortunately, your ENT specialists can help. The ENT specialists and audiologists of Parker Ear, Nose, & Throat in Norwalk, CT, offer a wide range of ENT services, including diagnosis and treatment of tinnitus.
Ringing in your ears is the most common symptom of tinnitus. You may also experience sounds like whistling, hissing, or buzzing in your ears. These symptoms can also be accompanied by dizziness and difficulty concentrating. Symptoms can occur and then resolve, or they can become chronic.
Tinnitus has several known causes, including:
- A buildup of earwax
- Age-related hearing loss
- Sclerosis of your middle ear bones
- Prolonged exposure to loud sounds
- Antibiotic or diuretic medications
- High blood pressure or atherosclerosis
- TMJ problems or trauma to your head or neck
Your ENT specialist will begin by testing your hearing to confirm a diagnosis of tinnitus. Imaging studies including an MRI or CT scan may be needed to confirm the presence of a structural issue, which could be causing your tinnitus.
After the cause of your tinnitus is determined, your ENT specialist can discuss appropriate treatment options with you. Treatment recommendations may include:
- Hearing aids to decrease or stop tinnitus symptoms
- Cochlear implants to restore tinnitus-related hearing loss
- Sound therapy, also known as TRT to help reduce noise
- TMJ treatment if your tinnitus is related to TMJ issues
- Medication or cognitive therapy
- Meditation and other relaxation techniques
You can get help for your tinnitus symptoms. To find out more about the symptoms, causes, and treatment of tinnitus and other ear, nose, and throat conditions, call the ENT specialists and audiologists of Parker Ear, Nose, & Throat in Norwalk, CT, at (203) 866-8121 now!